Thursday, May 28, 2009

PIGS, Finally


Catching a glimpse of one of these, the Eurasian Boar, has been elusive but it finally happened and in dramatic fashion. I've seen way more than my fair share of bobcats and cougars in the wild, but never a wild pig until today. I have spent enough time in the American southwest that you think I should have seen a Javelina at least once, but nope, not me.

I got on the trails a bit earlier than normal since I was showing my Dad the long way to work. The wind was blowing and there had been some rain, perfect for covering noise and scent. We were on a small trail through dense cover on the rim of the biggest wildest canyon in the neighborhood. They were bedded down under some thick cover right next to the trail and I got right next to them before being noticed. Two loud grunts and my western north american brain thought bear. I know there are no bears here, but that is where my thoughts went. They all stood up together and all that long dark fur rising in the brush was so wide I thought moose. Again kind of a stupid place for my brain to go since we aren't in Scandinavia . Regardless all the commotion made me take a few steps back and as they went crashing through the brush I finally realized what they were. I counted six as they crossed the trail right behind my Dad and headed into the canyon. The last one across was the one that grunted and he was bigger than the rest. Nice way to start the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment