Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eyes Wide Open

I have been the recipient of a generous bequest and honor.
While packing up her room Claire decided these two rocks from her collection of favorite rocks should join my collection of favorite rocks.

Why I picked up this one and gave it to my small daughter is self-evident. It's the only really good naturally occurring smiley face I've ever found ;-)



Potato rock,,, ahh I remember this one well. "Hey, that rock looks just like a potato."
It appears to be a run-of-the-mill agate from a basalt vug. (sp? yeah,, blogger doesn't have that one in it's spell check dictionary) It could have some nice depositional layers or even be opalized but we think it is best kept as a vegetable look-alike instead of whacked open with a hammer.
We also think that when you discover a new rock type you should be able to name it. This has been labeled as the type specimen of spudite.

1 comment:

  1. I totally appreciate your families love of rocks...I LOVE them too!!!

    ReplyDelete